Privacy and data protection
The Policy only applies to the Website. It does not cover other websites to which you may link via the Website. Such other websites may contain privacy policies which are different to the Policy.
Use of the Website(s) by you constitutes acceptance of the Policy.
The heading of each clause in the Policy is added merely for the sake of reference. It does not affect the interpretation or construction of that clause.
IFPHK acknowledges that your personal data and other information supplied by you to us ("your information") may be confidential. We will maintain the confidentiality of and protect your information in accordance with the Policy and to the extent required by the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the “Ordinance”) under the laws of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
Collection of information
IFPHK recognize that the data may comprise personal data and/or sensitive personal data ("Personal Data"), covered by the Ordinance. This Policy describes how we fulfill our obligations under the Ordinance. “Personal Data” means information that let us know the specifics of who you are. IFPHK will occasionally collect Personal Data from you that will be processed for the specific purposes which will be given at the time or for any purpose stated in the Policy.
We collect Personal Data from you in various ways including but not limited to:
- when you register to use IFPHK's products and services;
- during the course of your use of IFPHK's products and services;
- when we request further information from you from time to time after your registration;
- during the course of you making a complaint.
The submission of Personal Data is voluntary. However, insufficient personal data may prevent IFPHK from providing a required service or answering an enquiry.
How the Personal Data is used
IFPHK may use the Personal Data you provide to us solely for the following purposes:
- To process your purchase of our products and services;
- To process payments from you for our products and services such as seminars, events, examinations and application fees and subscription payments;
- Internal purposes, including website and system administration, identification and verification purposes;
- Research, analysis and reporting for the purposes of improving our products and services
- From time to time we may provide statistics about the usage levels of the Website and other related information to reputable third parties, but these statistics will not include information which may identify you;
- To provide access to restricted parts of the Website;
- To respond and take follow-up action on complaints, enquiries or feedback, including investigation, if appropriate, any disciplinary action; and
- To offer you and to let you know about the availability of products and services elating to examinations, education programs, memberships, conferences, events, and research via email, mail or SMS.
Processing of Information
Your Personal Data may be controlled and processed by any of IFPHK's offices. You acknowledge and agree that the location of our office may change from time to time and that IFPHK may acquire other offices, at any time, which may act as a data controller of and/or data processor for the purpose of applicable data protection laws.
Personal data collected by IFPHK through the Website is stored and maintained in a secure and controlled environment that is not accessible by the public. Given the nature of the Internet, IFPHK cannot guarantee that transmission of data is absolutely secure. However, IFPHK shall take all commercially practicable steps to ensure that any information collected by IFPHK via the Website is safe and secure from third party interference.
Disclosure and sharing of information
Personal data held by the IFPHK will be kept confidential but IFPHK may provide such information to:
- Any agent, advisor, auditor, contractor or service provider who provides product, service or advice to us or our members in connection with our operation;
- Any person under a duty of confidentiality to us; or
- Any person to whom we are required to make disclosure under any law applicable in or outside Hong Kong.
You should note that as IFPHK have no control over the acts of any third party, the privacy protection stated in the Policy ceases to apply to any information which has been disclosed to a third party in accordance with the Policy. IFPHK endeavours to deal only with responsible third parties but assume no responsibility for the privacy protection provided by such third parties.
IFPHK may use your email address to contact you by email to provide you with further information about IFPHK, our products/services and to promote our Website. This may involve disclosing your Personal Data to other offices of IFPHK or to our affiliates, agents or appointed representatives. If you wish to be contacted in this way, please tick the appropriate box when you register for IFPHK's online services. Please note that if at any point you wish to change your contact preferences, you can do so online by logging into Restricted Area of the Website or contact us.
Transfer of Personal Data within or outside Hong Kong
You acknowledge and agree that we may from time to time transfer any of your Personal Data to any office of IFPHK, affiliates, agents or appointed representatives within or outside Hong Kong in order to carry out the purposes, or directly related purposes, for which the Personal Data were collected. Where such a transfer is performed by IFPHK, it will be done in compliance with the requirements of the Ordinance.
When you browse this web site, cookies will be stored in your computer’s hard drive. The purpose of using cookies is for internal navigation/programming only. We will not collect any personal data from you under this circumstance. You have a choice not to accept the cookies, but if you do, certain functionality, e.g. banner display may not available.
Use of third party services
Occasionally, third parties may provide services to us and may require access to your Personal Data. In those circumstances, those third parties shall be required to enter into an agreement with us containing terms no less stringent than those found in this Policy and to process your Personal Data solely in accordance with our instructions.
Retention of Personal Data
Personal data you provide to IFPHK will be retained only for such period as may be necessary for the carrying out of the purposes referred to in the Policy or as otherwise specified at the time of collection.
Access to Personal Data and questions
You have the right to request access to and (if appropriate) correction of personal data held by IFPHK about you.
If you have any questions or need further information about our privacy practices, please contact us at:
The Institute of Financial Planners of Hong Kong Ltd.
13/F, Causeway Bay Plaza 2
463-483 Lockhart Road, Hong Kong
Telephone: (852) 2982 7888
Fax: (852) 2982 7777
IFPHK reserve the rights to vary or amend the Policy at any time at our sole discretion without prior notice. Any variations or amendments shall take effect upon posting of the updated version on the Website.